Wednesday, November 19, 2008

First Half of Chalk


We watched the first half of the movie "Chalk" in our Monday night class this week. So far it has really been an entertaining movie. Although it was funny, it had specific relevance to educators also. One concept from the movie that I want to bring up is the concept of teachers dating each other. I just want to point out that I am writing this without having seen the whole film. When we were introduced to the possibility of a romance between the gym teacher and the newer social studies teacher, I was thinking it would just be a fun twist. However, I thought about my own school in rural Iowa and realized that many of my teachers were married to fellow teachers and that many younger teachers were dating each other. The intraschool relationship that I dealt with most was my chemistry and physics teacher, who is married to our French teacher. What enables me to see if this changes teaching is that his wife started with our school my senior year, and I could find no difference between my science teacher before his wife was in the same school district as he was and after she began teaching there. So, I really don't think that relationships between teachers is a big deal, but I think the teachers need to know how to handle students. An example, I remember one of my friends joking to my science teacher about him and his wife sneaking back into the lab stockroom during breaks. I really can't remember what happened after this, but I know that there really weren't any problems of distractions throughout the year. Hopefully I'm in a large enough place where the only young single girls aren't teaching at my school, also.

No comments: